Friday 25 January 2013

Lifescouts: Driving Badge


I wasn't as quick off the mark as many of my peers at the driving game. As a young one, born in July, many people in my year were already brandishing pink licenses by the time I even turned 17, and I couldn't summon a whole lot of enthusiasm for the enterprise when I already had 1 best friend who could drive, and 2 others not far behind.

Nevertheless, by the time late January rolled around I decided to follow the crowd and booked my first driving lesson with one of the friend's instructors.

It did not go well.

The start was fine. You know, breaks, gears, clutch etc. But when I was taken down a road with a limit of 60 mph when I hadn't even practised 5th gear yet, and was only comfortable going 30 mph, I realised this might not be the teacher for me. Apparently some people respond well to this method of teaching; thrown in the deep end, you soon learn to swim. I sank, and was considering slamming my foot down on the accelerator, throwing us into a ditch and ending any chance I had of learning to drive then and there.

Luckily, there are many driving instructors in my area, and I soon found another. She was willing to go at my baby pace, starting off in the shallows with the armbands. I passed my test about 7 months later, with multiple A-levels and holidays in the middle.

My driving experience was yet more proof, as if I needed it, of how I can't get along with everyone. Times like this will crop up again and again, until I learn to accept that I am just too different from some people to get along with them.

With that, I claim the Driving Badge:



Incidentally, one week after passing my driving test I went to university, where I had to drive in (by myself!) for the first few weeks. Turns out sometimes I can deal with the deep end.

Yours, speedily,
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment